GRANTING AUTOMOTIVE LICENSES FOR FOREIGNERS IN VIETNAM
How do foreigners who are residing or traveling in Vietnam want to own a driver's license for convenient travel? The easiest way is to change your foreign driver's license for a driver's license in Vietnam. The following article on "Granting automotive licenses for foreigners in Vietnam" will provide information about the conditions, procedures, and the process of renewing a driver's license.
- Law on road traffic 2008;
- Circular 12/2017/TT-BGTVT Regulations on driver training, driving tests, and issuance of driving licenses for road motor vehicles.
1. Conditions for changing driver licenses
- Foreigners who have resided, worked or studied in Vietnam, have diplomatic identity cards, identity cards, residences cards, temporary residence cards, permanent residence cards from 03 months or more;
- The foreign driver’s license still contains all the necessary elements: The validity period, the class of the vehicle allowed to drive, does not appear erased or torn, and there is no difference in identity. At the same time, the foreign driving license must be provided by a competent authority;
- Passport, visa of the foreigner is still valid;
- Foreigners with a specific address of residence;
- Do not change foreign temporary driving licenses, international driving licenses, foreign driving licenses, the military, the police beyond the prescribed expiry date.
2. Procedures for changing driver's license for foreigners
Pursuant to Article 41 of Circular No. 12/2017 / TT-BGTVT, the candidate shall send a set of applications in person to the Directorate for Roads of Vietnam or the Department of Transport (where the residence is registered). The application includes:
- Written request for renewal of driving license (under the form prescribed in Circular No.12/2017/TT-BGTVT (form for foreigners));
- The copy of passport (passport number, full name, passport photo, validity period, and page of entry visa to Vietnam), people’s identity card, citizen’s identity card issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam, or a photocopy of the Permanent Residence Card, Temporary Residence Card, stay permits or the papers proving the foreigner’s long-term residence in Vietnam; in case of any question found, the licensing agency shall issue a written request to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Immigration Department affiliated to the Ministry of Public Security and the Immigration Office affiliated to the Public Security station at the provinces for verification.
- A written translation of the foreign driving license in Vietnamese guaranteed in quality by a notary office or Embassy, Consulate in Vietnam for which the translator works, affixed with fan stamping and copy of the driving license;
- A copy of one of the following papers: residence card, residence card, temporary residence card, permanent residence card, paper residence card, papers verifying permanent residence in VietNam;
* Important note before changing driver’s license:
- When changing a driver’s license, the driver is photographed by the Department of transport and must present a valid passport, temporary residence card, permanent residence card, papers verifying permanent residence in Vietnam. Male and foreign driver’s licenses for comparison.
* In case of changing foreign driving licenses granted to foreign tourists driving into Vietnam:
The candidate shall send a set of applications to the Department of Transport or by post. The application includes:
- Written request for renewal of driving license;
- A written translation of the driving license in Vietnamese guaranteed in quality by a notary office or Embassy, Consulate in Vietnam where the translator works, affixed with a stamp on adjoining edges of pages and copy of the driving license; in case of any question found, the licensing agency shall issue a written request to the Embassy or Consulate for verification;
- Certified true copy of the entry-exit registration list made by the Ministry of Public Security or the copy of the passport that shows passport number, full name, passport photo, validity period, and page of entry visa to Vietnam;
- 01 color 3 cm x 4 cm photo with a blue background like those used in the ID card.
The applicant must present the original copy of aforesaid documents (except for sent original documents) for comparison.
3. The number of dossiers to change the driving license: 01 dossier
4. The term of use of Vietnamese driving licenses is exchanged for foreigners
- The validity period of the Vietnamese driving license exchanged for foreigners is consistent with the period stated in the entry visa or temporary residence card, consistent with the expiry date of the foreign driving license but not exceeding the period. the prescribed term of the Vietnamese driver's license;
- The validity period of the Vietnamese driver's license exchanged for foreign tourists driving foreign registered drivers into Vietnam is consistent with the travel time in Vietnam (from entry to exit) but not exceeding past the prescribed time limit of Vietnamese driving licenses.
5. Authorized agency to change driver's license
The driver shall submit a dossier to the Directorate for Roads of Vietnam or the Department of Transport (the place of registration for residence, residence, temporary residence, or permanent residence).
6. Processing time for changing driver's license
Not more than 05 working days from the date of receipt of a complete application as prescribed.
Above is the information on the Granting of automotive licenses for foreigners in Vietnam. For further information and advice on this issue, please contact Doanh Tri law directly by one of the following methods:
Hotline: (+84) 911.233.955 - (024) 6293 8326
Doanh Tri Law is willingly pleased to accompany you!
- THE PROCESS OF APPLYING FOR A TEMPORARY RESIDENCE CARD FOR FOREIGNERS IN VIETNAM
- JUDICIAL RECORD APPLICATION PROCEDURE
- PROCEDURES FOR VISA APPLICATION AND TEMPORARY RESIDENCE EXTENSION IN VIETNAM
- PROCEDURES FOR WEBSITE COPYRIGHT REGISTRATION IN VIETNAM
- ESTABLISHING A LOGISTIC COMPANY IN VIETNAM
- PROCEDURES FOR SETTING UP A FOREIGN-INVESTED COMPANY DOING BUSINESS IN EDUCATION
- PROCEDURE FOR ISSUING A LICENSE ON INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL BUSINESS REGISTRATION IN VIETNAM
- HOW TO ESTABLISH A JOINT STOCK COMPANY IN VIETNAM
- CERTIFICATION OF COSMETIC ADVERTISING CONTENT IN VIETNAM
- PROCEDURES FOR GRANTING WORK PERMITS TO FOREIGNERS IN HANOI
- VIETNAMESE VISA EXTENSION PROCEDURES FOR FOREIGNERS IN 2022
- ADOPTION PROCESS IN VIETNAM WITH FOREIGN ELEMENTS
- PROCEDURS FOR GRANTING TEMPORARY RESIDENCE CARDS TO RELATIVES OF FOREIGNERS IN VIETNAM